I'm lucky to work at a big branch that has two other staff members who do storytimes. I'm assigned the 2's and 3's groups (3 per week). This week I also covered the 4's and 5's and all-ages family storytime for a colleague who was off for a few days. I did just about the same things with each group.
This past week's theme was fish/beach/pond.
- I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry
- Hooray for Fish by Lucy Cousins
- Jump! by Scott Fischer I have the kids stand up for this one and we all JUMP together where the text says "JUMP!" and then fall down at the "SPLASH" at the end. Thanks Julie for remding me of this book!
- Giant Pop-Out Ocean by Chronicle Books
- Scarf/freeze dancing to "Surfin' USA"
- "Filmore Fish" puppet story
- "The Bean Bag" song by Hap Palmer This was my first time ever doing a Hap Palmer song in storytime!
- "Bingo" Draw and Tell story by Dr. Jean
- "The Waves on the Lake" song (to the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus") See below for lyrics
The Waves on the Lake
The waves on the lake go up and down,
Up and down, up and down
The waves on the lake go up and down
All through the day.
The fish in the lake go swim, swim, swim...
The turtles on the lake go snap, snap, snap...
The swimmers in the lake go splash, splash, splash...
The ducks on the lake go quack, quack, quack...
The seaweed in the lake goes sway, sway, sway...
*My first library system also used this approach when I worked there, but since my last library system only had 1 branch that did storytimes regularly, I was on my own with creating storytime plans.